Back in February I wrote this post about wanting to upgrade my workout wardrobe. I wanted to ditch the dingy T-shirts for some body hugging tanks and pants in hopes that I would feel more confident while working out, thus gaining more motivation to actually go to the gym.
Several months have passed since I first wished for cuter workout clothes and I am pleased to announce that I have indeed made an effort to look a little better while working out. Let me start off by saying this: while some of my new ensembles are more flattering, they are also more functional. Remember my rant about how crew necked t-shirts are too restricting and hot while I’m running on the treadmill? Or what about my gym shorts riding up while I’m doing weight machines, lunges or sit ups? With my new dri-fit tops and capris, I have rid myself of these problems (on most days) and feel more comfortable about lifting my legs up to do reverse crunches.
Without further adieu, I present to you: My Workout Essentials. (Sorry for the lack of high-quality photos. I do what I can)
One of the most important aspects of fitness and safety is finding the right type of shoe for the activity you are performing. I have quickly learned that wearing a structured running shoe is not the best idea while taking a Zumba class. Running shoes are not meant to move from side to side, whereas a light weight training shoe with a flexible sole is designed for just that.
1. Nike Flex Trainer, $60 from Zappos I actually just got these in the mail today and am eager to try them out at the gum tomorrow for Zumba class!
2. Nike Air Pegasus + 27, $81 from Zappos These are my second pair of Nike Air Pegasus and I absolutely love them. They are light weight, the perfect width for my foot and have just the right amount of cushion.
3. Champion Sports Bras, $15-$17 from Target Having a supportive sports bra is crucial to a good workout!
4. Danskin NowTank, $7 from WalMart I have a couple of these “dri-more” tanks and I really like them. They have a shelf bra and are made of a thick, stretchy fabric that kind of sucks you in!
5. Nike Race Day Shorts, $21 from Nike Both the Nike Tempo shorts and the Nike Race Day shorts can be found in my dresser drawer! I love the breathable fabric and the built in briefs for days I want to run or do the elliptical. They aren’t too short either.
6. Nike Running Capris, $45 from Nike although these are a bit on the pricey side, they are great for spinning classes, running, weight training, etc…pretty much everything! I highly recommend them. However, I found a replica pair at Target for half the price…might be worth checking out!
7. Adidas Kids Socks, $10 for three pairs from Famous Footwear I wear a size 6.5 shoe, so a lot of times adults socks are too big for my feet. Instead, I buy kids socks! These Adidas ones are my favorite because they are thick enough that they don’t bunch up in my shoe. I HATE thin socks that slide around.
Other items I like to keep in my gym bag: Apple iPod Shuffle–love it! I feel helpless when it dies on me while on the elliptical. Water is an absolute must while at the gym. Luna Bar, just in case my stomach is growling uncontrollably. Pad Lock, the gym I belong to has a locker room, so I like to take advantage of locking up my personal belongings. Hair Accessories such as bobby pins, pony tail holders and elastic headbands to keep my hair off my face. Some type of fitness Magazine, just in case I need some inspiration or to reference weight training exercises.