If you are a fan Emily of Cupcakes and Cashmere, chances are you will also like the fashion blog, Sterling Style. Taylor Sterling is the woman behind this fun blog, documenting outfits, fitness, decor and recipes. She is also the editor and founder of The Glitter Guide, which is an upcoming website featuring fashion, trends, fitness etc. Right now, you can check out the tumblr version of the GG. I love Sterling Style because Taylor uses pieces that you could easily find in affordable stores like Target, Forever 21, Gap, Loft and others! I even have the same sparkly F21 bracelet that she often wears : )
Two summers ago while I was browsing the new release section in the book area at Target, two pastel covered books caught my eye. “Something Borrowed” and its sequel, “Something Blue”. I skimmed that back covers and knew these would both be perfect “summer beach reads.” Luckily my birthday was just a week away when I made this literature discovery so I promptly added them to the b-day list and the parentals gifted them to me.
I’m always down for a good chick-lit read and was eager to start this couplet. Something Borrowed’s heroin is Rachel, who lives in New York as a young attorney. Rachel is known as a “plain-Jane” kind of girl among her friends and is some what out-shined by her best friend Darcy’s glamorous lifestyle. On her 30th birthday, Rachel ends up in bed with Darcy’s fiance, Dex, who has been a longtime crush. (hence the “borrowed” title). Although Rachel knows she made a horrible mistake by sleeping with him, she can’t hide her true feelings and has fallen in love. Should she sacrifice her own happiness by staying away from Dex and keeping hold of her best friend, or tell Darcy the truth about the love affair?!
(Small spoiler alert….but I mean, you knew it was coming : ) Something Blue picks off right where Something Borrowed left off and focuses on Darcy. After the mess that occurred with Dex and Rachel, Darcy decides to start over clean in a new city, London, England and she is not alone. A baby is on board! She stayswith a childhood friend, Ethan, and realizes she has to leave her petty, girl drama and longing for glamour in the past and focus on her new duty: motherhood. Darcy learns the true meaning of happily-ever-after in this follow up novel.
So there you have it. A very concise summary of these two books. I highly recommend them if you are looking for an easy, girly read! Emily Giffin has written several other books and they can be found on her website. She just released a new book this spring titled “Heart of the Matter”, which I will probably end up reading soon!
Now for the juicy part….Something Borrowed has been turned into a movie! : ) It has a great cast including stars like Kate Hudson, Ginnifer Goodwin, John Krasinski and Collin Egglesfield. It is hitting the theaters soon, so keep on the lookout!
Desserts: a sweet, decadent treat usually served at the end of the meal. In most instances, I eat them whenever the heck I feel like it. Pie, ice cream, cake, chocolate, candy, pastries, tarts, gelato, cookies, the list goes on and on. It was difficult to narrow down my top 5 favorites and according to the season or week or day, my faves will probably change. But for now, here are the top 5 contenders!
1. Chocolate Cupcakes
2. Pumpkin Pie
3. Lemon Bars
5. Snickerdoodle Cookies
Runner Ups : Brownies and homemade Reese’s peanut butter cups
What are your top 5 favorite desserts?!
I CANNOT WAIT til “Tangled” comes to DVD on Tuesday. I will definitely be purchasing this lovely Disney princess fairytale story for myself. It was just so whimsical and magical. If you haven’t seen it, I highly recommend you march your little fanny to the nearest Redbox and rent it for a $1. : )
Above is my favorite scene of the movie…so pretty! In light of the upcoming release of Tangled, I have created myself as a princess : ) Somehow when I saved the picture it altered some of the colors a little bit, but eh, you get the idea. Turn yourself into a princess by going to this website!
Spring Fever has hit. And it has hit hard. I am in the mood for pastels, wedges, sun dresses and SUNSHINE. I even bought a tanning package a couple of days ago to prepare my skin for the sunny months to come and to prevent people from being scarred for life from seeing my ghostly white body. Yikes…
I have compiled a little set of items I consider to be spring essentials! Just like winter necessitates gloves, hand lotion for dry skin and cozy socks, springtime has a few of its own must-haves!
1. Umbrella-If you live in Kansas, you know how much it rains here in the spring. What better way to shield yourself from the rain than by carrying and using a cute umbrella?!
2. Wave Spray–I’ve recently learned that if my hair comes in contact with even the slightest bit of humidity in the air, it becomes the mayor of Frizzville. Well, there is a new sheriff in town and her name is Wave Spray. Why try to fight the wave when you can embrace it?? I’ll be using it a lot this season!
3. Spring Scarf- Although we often associate scarves with cooler months, a light weight scarf is the perfect accessory for a spring dress or tank and cardi combo. Choose a lightweight fabric to prevent heat exhaustion.
4. Sunnies- With all of the time I will be spending outdoors (post 5 p.m and the weekends) I will surely need a good ole pair of sunglasses to protect my peepers from UV rays.
5. Accessories–Spring is the perfect time to experiment with some funky fun jewelry and shoes. Once again, I have chosen all turquoise colored accessories…what is wrong with me?! But how cute and fun are those little elephant earrings?! Love them
6. Poolside Gear–When May rolls around I will be poolside whenever I can be! A nice sturdy straw beach bag is the perfect tool to store all of my sun bathing trinkets like sun screen, towel, cover up and a good magazine. Also, the most important part (unless I’m at a nude beach) is a swim suit! I’ve really been liking the classic retro look lately.
7. iPod–MUST workout a lot to attain a hot summer bod. MUST listen to iPod shuffle and remember to keep it charged so it doesn’t die mid-workout…
8. Journal–The reasoning behind having a journal this spring is to log my exercise and diet regimen. If I keep on top of those extra Reese’s peanut butter cups by writing down how many I eat, maybe I won’t eat as many??
9. Make-up–Bronzer, a fresh palette of eye shadows, rosebud salve, lacquered nails and a spritz of a perfume like Kate Spade Twirl are all the perfect touch to an outfit. Keep makeup light and fresh for a lovely glowy look.
10. Lemon Drops–The candy, not the drink. They have always been a favorite of mine since childhood when my Grandma would give them to me during church service. Nothing says spring time like lemon!
And of course, always remember to channel your inner Audrey Hepburn! : )
Oh yeah and stay hydrated. Drink lots of water and tea!
I love how the springtime brings in seasonal fruits such as plums, peaches, berries and melons. I totally stocked up on all of these things yesterday while doing my grocery shopping at Hy-Vee. The fruits probably aren’t at their peak ripeness right now, seeing as it is still March, but the two different plums I have eaten have both been delicious!
Whenever I eat plums I always thing about this William Carlos Williams poem. During my Poetry reading class sophomore year, we did a unit on Williams’ poems and this was always one of my favorites. It seems like a note a husband would leave his wife.
This Is Just to Say
I have eaten
that were in
you were probably
they were delicious
and so cold
That is all : )